Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Step-Mom



As I sit here and reflect
on the Life I live today,
So many nagging questions
and things I wanna say.

Such as, when you were my age
Just marrying my dad...
I bet life seemed so wonderful,
Your future didn't seem too bad.

I too walked in so blindly
as I said my wedding vow,
If only I had known then-
All that I do know now.

You too might have thunk twice
When taking on this fatherly man,
Becoming a heart broken step-mom
I'm sure was not your plan.

I hope you didn't feel "different"
Like a 3rd wheel to our club,
I hope you didn't feel stuck-up
as I too gave you the snub

I hope you didn't feel left out
as I gossiped behind your back.
I hope you didn't feel hated
As I fell off the good-girl track.

I hope you didn't feel ignored
when you gave a simple request.
I hope you didn't feel evil-
when all you did was your best.

I hope you didn't get tired
Of the back & forth mom game.
I hope you didn't hurt badly-
As we only called you your name.

I hope you felt included
Even though I didn't bother.
I hope you didn't feel blamed,
as I alienated my father.

I hope you never felt,
All these things I feel today-
As my own 2 step children
Keep pushing me away.

It's taken 20 years
But I think I get-it, I do.
You never had room to love me,
'Cause I never gave room to love you.




* * *



I wonder if we can do this
Start again, learn to love for reals,
'Cause I finally know what I did to you-
I finally know how a Step-mom feels.



No comments:

Post a Comment