Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Meatloaf Tacos


Here's my invention of tonight's dinner.

Jim planned to make Tacos tonight for dinner. He had the small deal of ground beef thawed and when he was still busy at 6:30, I decided to go ahead and cook the meat up for him.

But knowing our family, 1 little deal of meat ain't gonna be enough for our bellies. So, I got creative and ADDED to my skillet. I knew that the whole purpose of meatloaf in itself was to create MORE than there was available. So, I transfered the same concept to my taco dish. I threw the meat in the pan and added 2 eggs, (beaten) mixed with 1 cup of oatmeal. However, the oatmeal tub I had smelled stale... yup, expiration date was Feb 2011. Dumped that oatmeal and decided to add a pouch of instant maple syrup flavored oatmeal. (How weird, right?)

Uh oh- just noticed that the oatmeal is very WHITE compared to the ground beef, I need to flavor it with something dark so that it doesn't stand out... let's look in the fridge... ah-ha! Honey barbecue sauce! (Nope, nothin else...)

I mix it all together and take a big gulp as I say to myself, "I hope this will work.... what if they don't like it? What if they notice how 'different' it looks? Oh well.. too late now."

So I'm cookin along, I can smell the sauce burning off- the egg is starting to sizzle too. You know, giving the pan that burnt look. (ya, I know- 'cause it IS burnt Crystal!) I get the guts to take a taste... ohmigoodness! This ain't bad!

I run a spoonful of 'meatloaf' to Jim as he's workin on his car.

He likes it, he can taste the sauce but doesn't notice the oatmeal. (ha-ha!)

Ok, now for Trevor... he's my BIGGEST critic. (Even without saying a WORD, I can always tell when the boys don't like something... they make themselves something else!)

But we start to make up our plates, I explain that I put in bbq sauce and chili powder. Trevor gets himself at LEAST 3 tacos. Jim gets himself 4.

Once we're finished eating- Trevor can't stop complementing me on the taste of the beef! Over and over again, he said it in different ways. Making me feel pretty darn special. :o) I still haven't told them about the oatmeal, and I know if I did- they'd give me one of 'those looks'.

(I wish I took a picture of it, but failed to do so- we were all too hungry!) I did a google search right now and that's where this pic came from. MeatLoaf Tacos?!

So, here I thought I invented the idea, but I guess not!

There you have it, Crystal's version of meatloaf tacos- but for a 'real' receipe- try this: http://busycooks.about.com/od/groundbeefrecipes/r/Meatloaf-Tacos.htm




No comments:

Post a Comment