Monday, November 14, 2011

My 30 Day Poetry Challenge - Day 14: "My Deceased Father"



So many of us hold a grudge that our Dad was taken from us at such a young age. But If our Dad could respond to our sorrow, I believe he would say something like this:

"I'm already there..." (written October 2010)

I’m already there on your birthday-I am smiling and sing along with everyone.

I’m already there attending your graduation – I’m the loud guy shouting “that’s my son! “

I’m already there as you travel long distances- giving directions and keeping you awake.

I’m already there when you’re thinking I’m not, yes I see everything for goodness sake.

I’m already there crying at your wedding, even if I can’t walk you down the aisle.

I’m already there when you’re hurting so badly and just need to talk to me once in awhile.

I’m already there as your babies are born, then I watch over them each day and night.

I’m already there smiling in family photos; barely visible in the camera’s light.

I’m already there when you go meet Mickey, lie on the beach or play in the sand,

I’m already there as we catch an amateur doing the thumb trick or sleight of hand.

I’m already there around the holidays, watching traditions that you and I started.

I’m already there as you covered your nose; yes it was Dad that somehow just farted.

I’m already there as you fall fast asleep, even if you’re not sleeping in bed.

I’m already there as long as you remember me- otherwise I will always be dead.

Please remember me as I was- not a magician or man with no debts.

I am father, a brother, a son- and a husband who has no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment