Monday, November 7, 2011

My 30 Day Poetry Challenge - Day 7: "My Mother-in-Law"


"To Donna and Jim" (written 10/29/05)
I’m writing this poem to say thank you,
Though “Thank You” just doesn’t seem like enough.
You’ve been so kind and understanding,
Just what I’ve needed since life’s been rough.
 
If it were my own house I’d be skeptical,
I’d have a hard time saying yes.
But the two of you were very trusting,
And for that I am truly blessed.
 
I may be sorta young and naïve
To what it is that life is all about…
But I have a feeling that your Jimmy
Is the man I can’t live with out.
 
He’s considerate and understanding,
He’ll talk to me day or night.
And even if we’re disagreeing
He knows how to loose a fight. 
 
So many reasons why I love him,
Like the relationship he shares with you.
Family is number one to me,
I’m so grateful he believes that too. 
 
I may not be able to pay you rent
For the months you’ve allowed me to stay.
But what I can do is make this promise,
And share with you what I feel today.
 
I thank you for raising an awesome son,
Although he may be stubborn once in awhile.
But I know he has a terrific heart,
Great sense of humor and a gorgeous smile.
 
I swear to you I’ll be good and kind,
To your son and grand kids all their life.
I promise to you I’ll be the anchor,
That your son is looking for in a wife.
 
I wrote this poem to say thank you,
Yet it STILL doesn’t seem like enough.
So I might be continually saying it,
Whether you like it or not… so tough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment