Thursday, November 3, 2011

My 30 Day Poetry Challenge - Day 3: "My Father"


"DadDee" (written July 1997)

As a child I danced
To Paula and to Janet
My dad used to be so happy
The best DadDee on the planet

But this happy dancer grew up
Learned that Dad was not so great
He'd blow up and give guilt trips
Then ask for forgiveness much too late

For 1 year I lived in Tucson
Lived with Mom instead of Dad
The change in moods was drastic
I knew of the choices I had

In May I moved back to Utah
But dread the guilt trips and stress
I freaked out almost daily
Dad thought that I was a mess

When I was there I felt so Lost
I really wanted to go
But if I did, I knew it then
That I would hurt him so

But just like THAT -I left real quick
It was a shock to everyone
Even though I planned my own escape
Ever since before June one.

I was so very unhappy-
The hate had got me sick
I fell into a depression
"Spoiled teen" was what they called it

My dad is now the sick one
but with what they call cancer
I'm now a sadden little girl
no longer the happy dancer

Is it my fault for his sickness?
Like I blamed him for mine?
It's just not fair for him to die now
It's really not his time

I was hoping he would be there
Like on the day I get married
He needs to grow into a Grandpa
Not in the ground and buried!

God help him live, help him be strong
God Help him understand
He isn't an awful father
He's actually a great man

DadDee Pollard Born: July 6, 1960
Died: September 21, 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment